Thursday, August 20, 2015

The Mirror

Okay it's time to put away the tissues and pity party and get back to reality.  During my son's first year in Knoxville I fell in love with this amazing antique shop called The Bearden Antique Mall in Knoxville, Tnn.  It is a huge warehouse type place with two floors filled with gems.  I had spotted this mirror last year and loved it.  I also took a photo of it for my friend Catherine who adores mirrors as much or perhaps even more than I do.  She has taught me so much about authentic antique mirrors and so many other things.  We both loved it but when I took the photo I was thinking about it more for her than for myself.  Throughout the year we talked about the mirror and got some shipping quotes but it would be costly to move across the states.  It is very heavy and very ornate and I feared that it would chip or get damaged in the transport.  
Catherine continued to find her own mirrors and I forgot about it for awhile.  When the idea of using an antique dresser as a vanity for my bathroom came about, I searched for a stunning mirror to place on top.  I knew it had to be jaw dropping to place in an all white bathroom.  As I spent time perusing through antique websites, looking through stores etc, and even settling on a Ballards mirror, I still thought it needed somthing a bit more spectacular.  That's when Catherine suggested the mirror for the bathroom.  Funny I honestly hadn't considered it.  We had another trip pending to take my son back and when I suggested the mirror to my husband, (he pretended not to listen as usual and when it was brought up in conversation he acted as if he had no recollection.)   he suggested I call and see if they still had it.  
They did, I purchased it and they held it for me.  
On Monday after moving my son into the university, we went to the antique store.  There it was more beautiful than I had rememebered.  

There was not much information about it.  I can't tell you what era it's from or period.  I can tell you that it is wood but I'm not positive if it's gilt or gesso.  I'm just learning about fine antiques but what I do know is that I love it.  It has all the features that I was looking for and I think when my bathroom is complete it will give me the look in the end that I had desired.

So in a couple of weeks the bathroom will be ready and I promise I will do a before and after post.  

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Click on Auto Pilot.

My youngest is back at school. 
Life must resume.  
Click on autopilot and keep busy.  
Wait to hear from him.  
Walk around with your phone waiting for the three dots to appear in answer to a text.
Food shopping becomes an awful experience when you don't have many to cook for.  
(My husband travels.  Alot.)
Clean out every pantry.
Organize until you can't anymore.
Wash all the curtains in the house.
Get his room ready. (As if he were coming home the same night)
I know I'm so pathetic. 
Smell his clothes.  (Did I say that?  Sorry, I meant his sheets.  Wait, no, I don't do that.  I wash them.  Don't know why I said that.)
Make countless trips to the parcel place.  Send him his favorite teriyaki sauce and snacks as if he can't find it there.)
Imagine the worst.
Hope for the best.
Mom switch doesn't turn off even if they are ten hours away. 
Paint something.
Clean out your closet.  Again.
Buy stuff. 

Here's to all the mom's crying in their son's beds.  Sending you strength and positive energy.  Be strong. You are not alone. 

My boys. 

Friday, August 14, 2015


As I help my son pack his belongings into bins and bags and work on jam packing my truck I can't help but feel sad.  I've never liked change.  I am a creature of habit.  (I'm not talking about decor, that's different. )  I have had the same cup of coffee every day for the past 20 or so years.  I have worn the same perfume since I was 17.  
I'm not a fan of transition.  Whether it's the seasons changing or immediate changes in my life.  
Tomorrow we embark on a trip.  The trip to take my son back for his second year at school.
Today as I walked in my yard I can see the leaves settling already on my grass.  The flowers are all crispy and tired of the daily heat and all the birds nests are empty.  I even noticed the light beginning to change.  It's dark now by 8 here.   
Last night the temperatures dropped a bit and the breeze gave me a chill as I walked my dogs.  A sign of the transition, the change of season.  
I will have to get used to hours alone and knowing that my son is not in his bed at night safely under my roof once more.  
When we return from our trip, my husband and I will be spending the last few weeks of August at the beach.  Our place there has been neglected this summer and I long to retreat by the ocean.  It's always been so healing for me.  I could be by the sea from the end of June to Sept if I could.  June is when my garden is at its best.  With my son home, and his friends home from their schools it's been hard to spend much time away from our home.  I would not have wanted to go without him especially now that we are apart for most of the year.  
It's never easy being a mother.  You wear your heart on your sleeve at all times.  So once again it is transition time.  
I don't love it but I am happy for my son's year and new experiences for him to be had.  
As the leaves begin to turn, and there is a slow chill in the distance, I seek to find peace in my time of transition.  
I hope you enjoy the last few weeks of the summer and to all the moms out there who will be parting from their children's side for school, I wish you . . .  peace.